PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PhD Research on flightcrew cultural backgrounds
Old 5th Aug 2022, 22:57
glekichi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thinkingman
Hi Iggy,

I am curious though - do you have any empirical evidence that supports your claim that one cannot assume a certain behaviour from a passport? Even though this claim goes against the research plan, I would be most interested to read and analyse this claim further.

Thanks.
Anecdotally, a nations "behavior" would seem to be skewed in certain industries. The 'average' person in the flight deck may be somewhat different to the 'average' person in that culture in general. Certainly many of the Hofstede observations do run true though.
I worked in Japan in another industry in my younger days and had no idea how the aviation industry would work here until I came back around 5 years ago as a pilot. The system is very very 'Japanese'. The individuals, however, are very different, in that many {not all, of course) are much much more what would be considered more like 'western' thinkers, albeit somewhat trapped in a system that doesn't allow them to express that fully.

Good luck with the study.