PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane flips over after crash-landing in Somalia
Old 5th Aug 2022, 19:34
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WideScreen
1 Nop, the moment you make your turns relative to the air, your ground speed (vector) will vary and as such, you will experience (minimal) accelerations.
2 The forces (except the inertial ones) on the airplane are relative to the air around the airplane. With 50 Kts airspeed in 100 Kts wind, this accelleration effect is no longer "marginal", though, because the 360s aren't snap turns, still relative mild forces.

You do forget, that when your airplane mass is not unlimited, the moving air will accelerate the airplane relative to the ground in the direction of the wind. With a light airplane and sufficiently large 360s, this is hardly noticeable, though it happens. And because that effect is happening, you will need to juggle the engine power. The effect is the most, when you turn the nose through the direction of the wind.
I hope I addressed most of this already in my previous post, but if not, please educate yourself on how airplanes fly. There is absolutely no need to change power while turning other than to correct for the required increase of lift to achieve the aircraft vertical acceleration, that turns the aircraft while in a bank. Nothing else. The airplane doesn't feel wind, the ground moves under the air opposite to the wind, but your airplane will be unaware.