PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS and ATT mode
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2022, 18:02
gipsymagpie

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
It may not be strictly on topic but is a valuable topic of conversation.

A common theme seems to be that not enough pilots seem to know their autopilots as well as they should - if you're not sure exactly what is going to happen when you push a button - then don't do it or find out before you do.

On a 4-axis AP you have more straightforward options providing everything stays coupled - GA or ALTA would be my preferred options to initiate the Go around.

With 3-axis or hand flying, as long as what you do gets you going safely away from the ground, does it really matter?

I imagine most pilots fly ILS at speeds well above Vy/Vbroc (same thing different terminology) so a speed reduction is probably needed at some stage - especially if you are OEI.
I agree. 4 axis is always GA for us. It does exactly what you want.

You're right it doesn't matter which way you go around but given how infrequently outside your six month check ride you actually do a go around, it needs to be slick as it's high workload. With that in mind I highlight all the options but offer my preference. But I make sure the pilot briefs how he is going to automate his go around at the pre approach brief. Then they have a vague chance of doing the right things . I also push that automation (eg FMS or Garmin) are used to guide the lateral navigation in the go around. That is as long as it's a standard missed approach which is in the database, is not a missed approach which is just climb on a heading and is not non-standard.