PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 5th Aug 2022, 01:59
Another Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
That’s not poor behaviour my friend, it’s how free market capitalism works, the Americans seem to champion it so much so they shouldn’t be surprised.

It’s an info session and not all the people who ticked yes on an internet form showed up. It wasn’t mandatory, they weren’t employed by said company. Obviously after considering the deal a lot of pilots decided they weren’t interested to the extent they didn’t feel the need to attend the roadshow. Obviously the conditions on offer couldn’t get pilots to the roadshow.

What I do find strange is stories of pilots abandoning Australian airlines for the US, even before beginning employment, and the vibe from some here is “ha ha ha, stupid Australian airlines, it’s awesome so many are abandoning them, they’re going to have to provide better deals to keep their staff”, whereas not showing up to this Spirit (considered at the bottom rung of US airlines) info day suddenly becomes “poor form, poor behaviour” on behalf of those pilots.

These airlines aren’t providing a charity and the pilots aren’t volunteering their time. This is a business transaction, plain and simple. No Australian pilot owes any US airline a single thing. I’m sure if the tables were turned these US carriers would drop them like a hot stone, circa 2000-2010. They want Australian pilots to work for them, they need to provide a better deal. It’s incumbent on them not pilots who didn’t turn up to a roadshow.

Or maybe it shows this notion that every second pilot in Australia, even major airline Captains, are desperate to flock to America is a bit of a furphy.
Dr Dre

What you are saying is right but what’s been discussed here is the lack of basic courtesy of not letting your recruiter know that you will not be attending the interview. As I said before that everyone may have a valid reason for not attending.

most of those pilots knew what to expect (in terms of deal) before they registered their interest for in person interview. How many people will just be a no show to a QF or VA or Rex interviews for that matter.

From the stories I have heard and discussed here aswell… Pilots are not abandoning Australian airlines… they are abandoning toxic work culture and conditions they are forced to work under… especially by certain someone who threatens to fire people if they try to negotiate the offer on the table!