PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DOHA ATCO 2022
Thread: DOHA ATCO 2022
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2022, 07:52
Mary Of Scots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sort of ‘party line’ orientated forum does little for me. This is a little removed from the intent of this thread, however a colleague brought something to my attention and I thought it worthwhile that I add my penny’s worth. Having controlled in Qatar (first OTBD then OTHH Aerodrome) for a while I have seen numerous controllers come and go. Comes with being a contract worker. Fun bucket full or money bucket full ?, then bye bye. A few people mentioned the name Curtis in earlier posts. Biggest loss to Air Traffic Control in QCAA. There is much speculation as to why he was made redundant during COVID, most notably age and years of service. I call bull****!! However, as to the person, he was the full package. Very easy on the eye, charming, very intelligent, well read and treated everyone with the same respect. He was kind hearted but did not suffer fools easily. However, what he was best respected for was his controlling. He was in a league of his own. It’s hard to describe really, but to say he was good was ridiculous. He was at a level waaaay above everyone else. Yes there are many good controllers here, you have to be, you’re forced out of your comfort zone. However, he was unique. It could be absolutely suicidal crazy and Curtis was monotone in his controlling. Cool, calm, focussed. He was even able to joke and put other people at ease while he was handing ridiculous high levels of traffic. I never even heard of such a high quality of controlling before I came to Doha. To see him in action was a once in a lifetime experience. Everyone liked and respected him. Yes there were and are those jealous of him, but I don’t think he even noticed. He probably will never read this, but Doha will never see that high level of controlling ever again and they are all the poorer for it. It shows today, the working environment here has taken a distinct nasty downward turn since his departure. As to this being a Middle East option for controllers looking for adventure, I wish I was able to, but cannot answer the many questions that linger about this place. I’ve adapted somehow. However know that by coming here you are on your own. Even being extremely good at your job is absolutely no security at all. Good luck to all who apply.