PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Work starts on new self-declared medical - The CASA Briefing
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 22:55
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by cessnapete
I think that the initial CAA alleviation from a medical by an AME was aimed at recreational pilots.The 4 seat rule is just an arbitrary limit by a clueless Neddy in the UK CAA. They probably don't realise that some private pilots fly six seaters. Although the 2000kgs limit is also a factor.
I was rated and occasionally flew a 31-seat a/c (sometimes with 4 passengers or less) originally on a PPL. Admittedly it was > 2000kg, but it would be useful to know the reasoning behind these arbitrary limits?

To be clear; I don't necessarily criticize them, it's just that if you are going to present a rational argument why something should be changed (for example from 4 seats to 4 POB) then it helps to understand how/why that something came about. It may even be that such a change actually fits within the reasoning used, which should assist a submission to change.

So far I've not seen anyone really discuss this aspect, nor does a cursory search reveal anything from CASA (not saying the detail isn't there somewhere, but the time involved in attempting to find it exceeded my limit), and while I could hazard a guess that's all it would be - and of very little use in reaching a mutually acceptable outcome.

So, for those that this matters to, how about you may an enquiry of CASA for the discussion notes and supporting detail on this?