PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The South China Sea's Gathering Storm
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 22:16
etudiant

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdracer
Yep, that was it - thanks.
Lonewolf - that's my basic point. Had she done something like this when The Donald was there (and gone against his wishes), I would have considered it par for the course.
But Biden's her guy - and this makes him look weak (or more accurately - weaker).
In this instance, I think this was a perfectly orchestrated show by the US government.
Biden comes across as conciliatory, Pelosi sends a message of Congressional independence and they both show the US does recognize its interests and supports a freely elected government.
Most important, it represents a clear rejection of the long tolerated Chinese technique of salami slicing, trying to constrain their neighbors by creeping tightening of constraints and taboos.
Interestingly enough, the Chinese public appears to have been the most impacted.
Reports are that Weibo crashed due to an overload of comments, mostly disappointed that China's wishes had been ignored with no consequences.
One poster reportedly asked: 'Could we not at least have made her take the (mandatory in China) Covid test on arrival?'
Although this was quickly censored, clearly the Chinese retain their strong sense of humor.