PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Within 6ft of the Ground nearly 1 mile Short of Runway
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 17:03
Eutychus

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Denti
Since we do not use „free“ language in ATC communications but rather a very specific and prescribed phraseology, it is not normal english, or normal french, spanish or german for that matter.
I don't spend my time listening to ATC transmissions but I don't get the impression that they are one hundred percent "specific and prescribed phraseology", even if there are core standard phrases. Especially not when an unexpected incident occurs.
More broadly, I think there's a problem treating any spoken language as just another form of code. Different accents are just the start of the issue. Cultures also interfere. Even the way people perceive English (native speakers and non-native speakers) differs. Some cultures are readier to adopt English purely for a specific professional use than others. Different interpretations and applications are always possible, too. For instance, I see a lot of discussion on here about the use of PAN PAN and MAYDAY on either side of the pond.