PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 09:09
rog747

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by stewyb
RW20 - your biased continues I’m afraid and its always about them versus us, BOH is thriving v SOU growing slowly nonsense. Do you honestly believe that the airport are spending large amounts of money on the extension just to satisfy existing airlines and their extra load capacity? It’s been raised by SOU on numerous occasions that they are looking for a LCC in some capacity to take the airport to the next level and I’m sure this is indeed what will happen for the future. Do I think whomever will open a base initially, no, but I can foresee the likes of EZY testing the water for next summer with a few away base routes. So stop this rubbish about competition from Ryanair at BOH and wake up to the fact that other airlines exist and will want to take their own market share on select routes. Another dark horse could be the return of Volotea!
To be fair to RW20 his response to my post is a breath of fresh air, and puts his head above the parapet -
Why not cut him some slack, or else ''why not attack me and my post'' lol

I'm not really interested in anyone's previous negative or seemingly biased posts, nor of the many who have rose tinted plane-spotter specs on LOL -
We are in the here and now.
Someone nicely asked here what the future holds 'if and when the runway work gets done', and also about the imminent future -
SOU is not doing bad - yes BOH is doing good v SOU growing nice and steadily --- So lets just all offer our opines, break it down as to the why and wherefore, and everyone has the right to enjoy to comment so we can nicely exchange views (and beg to differ of course)

SOU may like the idea of a LCC base, but we now have lived in different times, but thankfully with lights at the end of the tunnel for steady recovery.
But Orange is not our colour du jour.

SOU have also clearly maintained all along that the longer runway will in the main, be able to offer existing aircraft types and its airlines their extra load capacity without runway restrictions in most cases -
It does not open up, nor have they implicated, a whole catalogue of super new medium haul routes, nor can land or take off (economically, or perhaps operationally safely) bigger Jets like the 737-800 or the A321.
SOU cannot park them anyway.

As for TUI, they seem well happy to use and fill their own 98 seat BACF weekly Jet to Palma, plus buy in more seats on the 2 other PMI scheduled BACF flights and on the Ibiza.
TUI has done well this summer at SOU -
If BACF remain for 2023 then I doubt TUI will be returning a 156/180 seat Volotea A319/320 series in the near term (which will still have payload issues from time to time)
TUI have given a lot of work this summer to Alba Star from its regionals, BUT they use a 189 seat 737-800 which does not fit at SOU -
They do still have a -400 series - just the one and it is getting old, 170/174 seats.
The 300/400 series at SOU was once a perfect fit - The new runway work today would ensure that Ops with that type had no payload issues.

Verona is one flight missing (was summer seasonal WEDS and SAT) but it was full (Inghams and TUI Lakes Mountains sold packages on this)
was on a FLYBE Q400, 78 seats.

Enjoy your day! Cold and wet here today - Missing Mykonos lol