PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS and ATT mode
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 13:56
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
Due to my time teaching in Simulators....76 and 212/412.....It was plain that far too many Helicopter Pilots did not understand the Sperry System or in some cases have any clue as to how to fly instruments. They perhaps understood procedures and things that could be learned by rote memory.

In my Sim....if you failed to brief for the Missed Approach...it was dead certain you would not see the airport as with a click of a a button I made it dissapear from the visual display.

How many times did I watch two well qualified and experienced pilots kill themselves upon realizing they had to actually perform a Missed Approach.

They punched the Go Around Button and started scrambling to read the Approach Chart to figure out what to do.....and did not adjust the Collective to apply Climb power.

The pitch attitude changed....the VSI showed a climb....and their noses dropped as they both studied the Approach Chart....and some point the airspeed dropped to a point where the Autopilot threw up its digital hands and surrendered to Allah's Will.....and the pilots died a virtual death.

At that point...we broke for Coffee....I handed them a video cartridge and asked them to watch it while they had their Coffee and I would join them in a few minutes.

In variably the later sessions went much more smoothly as the teaching point. had been made.....the Simulator Training that their employer was spending lots of money was so they could learn....and improve on their skill levels.

We used to set the aircraft up for an ILS Approach...with the "Upper Modes" armed.....and we watched the aircraft fly right down the ILS without a bit of deviation....with an engine shutdown and a fire warning light showing on the other and several other Caution Lights illuminating with the Master Caution Flashing each time.

Teaching point....the machine can do it....why can you not?

Perhaps if you let the machine do it....and stay in the Loop by executing command authority over the machine....the machine would help you in flying the machine.

But.....you had to understand the machine before you could get full use of. it....and not cause yourself a problem.

Sometimes adherence to a set procedure but not fully understanding the aircraft systems could cause you serious problems.

Some Operators came to us thinking their Standard Procedures were very carefully thought out....but were not.

We had the advantage of seeing many different approaches to the same problems/issues plus having direct access to the Manufacturer's experts.

I sense some of that in this thread.

Sometimes one has to sort out the wheat from the chaff.