PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DOHA ATCO 2022
Thread: DOHA ATCO 2022
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 11:27
Somwhere out there

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting reading

Very interesting reading people.

A few years ago there was a post on here asking about the package and conditions for working in Doha. I was following it at the time as I was interested myself and there was a very honest and frank reply from whom I believe was a current radar controller listing the pros and cons. Sadly that post disappeared very quickly, not sure why, but if I remember correctly it painted a damning picture of unprofessional management and job instability.

Undeterred I sought a second, and third, opinion from forwarded contacts which resulted in similar confidential replies.

On top of that it appeared that the recruitment process was nothing short of farcical with nothing more than a quick practical assessment determining whether you got the job or not. No personal or professional interviews with HR or any other department for that matter and it largely coming down to whether the one individual recruiter considered you compatible. I was actually told in a more recent follow up that certain previous controllers had been rejected because the recruiter wasn’t friendly with them irrespective of their ability to perform their duties which also adds credibility to some of the comments above.

I can’t comment as to whether that particular recruiter is still in position, I would hope not, but reading this thread it would appear that the process hasn't developed since then and it comes as no surprise to learn those making the decisions remain either unqualified or lacking experience in such matters.

For the record I didn’t apply back then and this isn’t a bitter and twisted follow up, I merely wanted to add my own experience and research to what has already been stated.

It’s disappointing that a unit of this stature doesn’t operate in a more professional manner as this would likely result in a more competitive selection pool considering the attractive package but it’s not difficult to see why people are reluctant to gamble on a move to Qatar when all of the past threads on this site are so negative.

I’m still at the stage where a move could appeal so if anybody, apart from the probable QCAA manager in this thread, has anything reassuring to add could they please do so or DM me privately.