PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine overheat
Thread: Engine overheat
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 07:39
Brian Pern

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by k738

Slot improved shorty after, so we completed our checklists and were getting ready for a new startup. We started engine number 2 and it was a good start. Planning for single engine taxi, we were about to do the "one engine taxi checklist" when we noticed OVHT/DET on the master caution panel.
Looking down on the fire panel, the ENG 2 OVERHEAT was illuminated. We did the memory items. QRH refers you to go to the "engine fire" NNC since the overheat indication still was illuminated, but since we were on stand and already at idle thrust, we put the engine start lever to cutoff instead.
Why, if you followed the ENGINE FIRE checklist you would just have pulled the Fire Switch, there is no need to discharge a fire bottle.
This would cover you in case someone wanted to hang you out to dry and this does happen

I take it you had Engineer support at the aircraft to diagnose the DRIVE fault?

Having, several years ago, an ENGINE OVERHEAT at approx 200 feet in the air, with a new pilot, I ended up with an almost Single Pilot Operation with added interference (but then I am an old crusty). I would have definitely grounded this aircraft until Engineers had had a good look inside the engine.