PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2022, 13:15
Lonewolf_50

Received 416 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by The Helpful Stacker
Incredibly patronising but I'll let it slide.
So, in your humble opinion, what would constitute an actionable Article 5 breach/attack? When is an attack on a member of NATO actually an attack on a member of NATO?
Good question. A simple example would be a flight / squadron of bombers crossing into {for example} Polish airspace and dropping their munitions on Poland. Likewise, a barrage of cruise missiles, or TBMs like Scuds.
In the modern age - remember that Article V was based on the Europe of the Cold War - it could be a variety of things. Interestingly, it was applied to, and resulted in NATO Ops in Afghanistan, the WTC bombing.
The size and shape of 'what's an attack that gets the Article V response' is ultimately decided by the 30 nations involved. We had a variety of Con Plans in NATO that had their own triggers (one I worked on had to do with attacks into Turkey from various states in the Middle East).
I suspect that a single case of sabotage would not constitute an Article V response .. but that depends on the scale and the magnitude...again, it's not an If/Then idiot switch.

@NutLoose: thanks for the link - the analysis on what did or didn't hit the building. The slaughter of the prisoners disgusts me.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 1st Aug 2022 at 13:34.