PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe-V2
Thread: Flybe-V2
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2022, 13:01
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wanna
Emerald do seem to be putting a lot of effort into establishing themselves, arguably a little more than Flybe. Emerald have the benefit of the backing of the Aer Lingus brand and booking systems, a recognised brand in Ireland as well as the U.K. Between them and Loganair they do seem to be tying up the regional market.

For anyone confused about the Runway at SOU, even Flybe Mk1 had restrictions from time to time on the Dash especially when operating some of the longer flights, a tech stop on a hot day wasn't unheard of. Combine this with LM, SI, T3 and GR all operating aircraft that are restricted its obvious that the extension is more to benefit the regional market and to ensure those aircraft can depart full rather than to create an attractive airport for someone like Easy.

If Flybe do have the resources and will to set up a base at SOU hopefully it will be much more successful than T3, however if it was a case of putting eggs in baskets I think they should focus more on LM and Emerald.
I don’t think anyone is confused. Restrictions for existing aircraft is common knowledge. LM themselves have said it affects their 145s.

I would be very surprised if any of you think SOU is investing many millions of pounds just to help the existing carriers operate a bit better. No company makes a large investment for such a small gain. Remember airports get money from landing fees, footfall etc. they want to open up a new revenue stream and take the next step in development which means bigger aircraft and more passengers. I agree it’s odd that they aren’t also creating the bigger stands etc but that’s likely phase 2.

To anyone who thinks EZY wouldn’t be a success at SOU you must be forgetting a large chunk of LGWs customers come from this area and Hampshire is one of the wealthiest counties in the country. If EZY could offer the same fairs at SOU as they do at LGW then why wouldn’t people use SOU? Your next question no doubt will be what’s in it for EZY? Why split a base? Competition. Lots at LGW and none at SOU.

Getting back to BE I hope they do open more routes at SOU but focus on MAN, CDG, French second home market and maybe the Scottish routes.