PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PhD Research on flightcrew cultural backgrounds
Old 31st Jul 2022, 09:22
thinkingman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PhD Research on flightcrew cultural backgrounds

Hi all,

I'm a PhD student (based in Australia) and am conducting/co-ordinating a number of research studies related to cultures on the flightdeck. One such study is focussed on ascertaining the cultural backgrounds on Asian flight decks - this initial study leads into the overall project of CRM training in Asia.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips, ideas or advice on the best way to try and ascertain the cultural backgrounds of cabin and flight crews that fly with the airlines in Asia. My initial thought is simply to survey all the Asian based airlines to ask them, but I am also thinking that many will not respond -due to confidentiality or privacy reasons. Can anyone prove me wrong on that thought - or alternatively, is there another way to find this information out? Basically, what i am trying to achieve is the percentage breakdown of cultures in both flight and cabin crew - as an example, Vietnam Airlines flies with 80% Vietnamese cabin crew and 10% Chinese, and 10% Malaysian - and 75% flight deck crew with 25% being US. That is a rough example, but that is similar to what I am looking for.

As already mentioned, this is preliminary research to the overall project whihc is focussed on CRM training in Asian airlines but I am wanting this data beforehand. So any ideas on the best way to try and get it all?

Thanks

The Thinking Man