PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New ICAO licencing standards.
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2004, 08:19
Col. Walter E. Kurtz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris, as usual, is quite correct.

Most people can be taught to operate the machine, but a flight is a WHOLE lot more than just operating the machine.

Unfortunately, pilots who go straight into flying in an airline environment are tailored to that environment. When something foreign enters that environment, something that they have never seen in a sim or on the line, they are generally less well equipped to deal successfully with an 'unusual' situation than say, a pilot who has more extensive and varied experience, especially in SPIFR where decision making and command judgement are singularly executed without anyone else to 'hold their hand'.

I am quite sure that there are many professionally minded and skilled pilots who were cadets etc. The point I make is not about attitude or ability. It is the simple and undeniable fact that there is a distinct lack of experience - maybe not a lack of experienec, but shall we say 'holes'in their experience - and when the ****e hits the fan - most pilots would draw upon their experience to extracate their aircraft, passengers and themselves from a serious situation. What do these guys draw upon?

The fact that modern equipment is so good and so reliable, masks the dangers of the 'holes' in these pilots' experience.

Every now and again, the mask comes off for example, (look at the A320 in Dubai).

Having said that, I don't think you need 1000hrs to get into a 210!