PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glen Buckley and Australian small business -V- CASA
Old 29th Jul 2022, 13:17
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandy Reith
Glen, a tour de force of the whole sorry saga, I hope CASA answers in a positive and constructive manner with view to compensation. The CASA CEO should lead because that is her job and if there was ever a case that demands action this is it.

AerialPerspective comments on the negative side of our political landscape and in general will get no argument from many people but ask ourselves a a question.

How do we improve if not through individual effort within the democratic institutions that we’ve inherited?
Sandy, your point is well taken. I have often thought and said that we need a revolution in this country, but not a violent one, a political one. You are absolutely correct that when it comes down to it, it is us, we, the people, who are in fact 'the Commonwealth' and so it is up to us to reform the system. Not throw the baby out with the bathwater, but to push and push and push and agitate for change, a la 'teal wave' to get the message across that the system needs to be improved.

Although it's on the nose at present, there are some aspects of the US system that should be implemented along with other measures we develop ourselves, such as providing a clearer separation of the elements of the executive, without changing the system too much. The head of state should be a bit more than a rubber stamp. The eventual transition to a republic may well provide an opportunity to 'tack on' some simple but effective restraints on the parliamentary executive - off the top of my head, perhaps the ability of the HoS to refer contentious legislation to a constitutional committee made up of three justices of the High Court, to ensure it's constitutionality. Such a small measure would, by its existence, probably put pressure on parliament not to pass badly drafted and over-the-top legislation and would likely be used invoked rarely. Such a thing would provide an effective restraint on executive overreach and involve the three branches of government checking each other's power, similar to the way the US system is 'supposed' to work.

Certainly, a broad-based anti-corruption body at the Commonwealth level is the first step, with the ability to look backward.

I think in the vein of what you stated, that the election of the teals, additional greens and even more ALP members and the rejection of people who opposed the 'Federal ICAC' concept, made me very proud that the people still have the ability to instigate change in this country.

And although I have zero respect for the man himself, I applaud Morrison's concession speech. No one is all bad and his introductory line that (words to the effect) ".... while there are still many votes to be counted, the country needs certainty and accordingly I have spoken to Mr Albanese and congratulated him on his historic victory..."

I think that was probably ScoMo's finest ever speech and it, along with the election, showed we are not so far down the track as other Western nations when it comes to democracy being in jeopardy. But we need to reform anyway.