PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hints For a Wannabe
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2004, 07:40
Gin Slinger
Paid up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choice of A-Levels

Midlandslittlen: I assume you were asking which A-Level subjects to choose if you want to be an airline pilot.

My view would be do the ones you'd enjoy most (or at least have the most aptitude for), although obviously if you are equally talented at Physics and Needlework, I'm sure you can work out which one would be best if you plan a career in aviation.

Some 10+ years ago, I was maneuvered into taking Mathematics and Physics A-Levels by my ol' man because he felt it would enhance career prospects. I hated every minute of every lesson; in the end I decided to switch over to Business Studies and Economics after the first term. I'm glad I did so and have not found in any way my decision to give up two of the 'choice' subjects for a career in aviation has damaged my prospects.

I got through ATPL exams without undue difficulty and now have landed an excellent job with a major UK airline.

What I'm trying to say is if you are very good and keen on Maths, Physics & English then great; however if French, Geography and Media Studies are much more your kind of thing, then do them.

As far as I know, the only stipulation most airlines make for junior pilots are GCSE Maths & English at C or above. If you fail these I would seriously think about re-sitting them next year.

Just on the subject of English, mine is far from perfect and I'm sure if you searched back through my posts, you could find many a grammatical howler, however I think the key skill to pick up is the ability to put down on paper (or PC monitor) a reasoned, logical argument that expresses clearly your thoughts. Just make sure you never, I repeat never, use 'txt-spk' in any medium other than sending your mates SMS messages or similar - 'txt-spk' is guaranteed to instantly put the back up of anyone over the age of 25!

NB – having funded my own licence, I don't know if everything I've written applies to sponsored training, although as you might have gathered, sponsored training is very thin on the ground at the moment and looks likely to remain so.