PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cold War Q and the Buccaneer
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2022, 14:50
exMudmover

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobward
Thanks for the replies. It all helps!
As an ATC cadet I went on camp to RAF Wildenrath in summer 1968. We were taken around the hangers by a Canberra Pilot (Flt/Lt G**lyer I think). He said he wanted to show us something interesting and opened up a side store. Inside was a bomb dolly with a 'shape' on it. This was a training round that crews would use on one of the ranges to simulate a loft/toss manoeuvre. For someone of middle teens to see the kind of thing that might be used was sobering, to say the least.

We were also told in no uncertain terms not to go anywhere near two open ended hangers at one end of the airfield. Surprising how much one remembers after 50+ years.

BTW:
What is the difference between a loft and a toss attack?
bobward

Difference between Loft and Toss:

AFAIR
In one type of attack the pilot continues the pull up, commits, and the bomb comes off (usually automatically) under g.

In the other type the pilot pulls to a pre-calculated climb angle, checks to hold that, and then releases. (Usually used for smart weapon release). Was used in the Falklands for Low Level PW2 attacks.

One is called Toss and the other Loft; I can't remember which is which but the weapons fraternity changed the terminology some years ago.

There are other more wacky techniques such as the Over the Shoulder (Pull thro' the vertical and chuck it back the way you came) . I believe they used to practice that in the old 6-engined B47. Rather them than me.

All of these attacks were initiated from Low Level.

All very exciting, especially on a dirty night in and out of cloud. Pilots used to earn their flying pay in those days.

Last edited by exMudmover; 27th Jul 2022 at 14:54. Reason: correction