PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing could cancel the 737 MAX 10
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2022, 18:08
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by FullWings
Would it though? When I flew the 737, admittedly some time ago, I was rated on the -100 to the -500 and regularly swapped between the -200 (steam) and -400 (hybrid glass + FMC) on the same day. No regulator problems with that.

As far as software approval, they got it for the MAX with this program running off a single sensor:

10 IF AOA > LIMIT THEN TRIM = TRIM + 1
15 WAIT 5; *** ADDED THIS ***
20 GOTO 10
So you're honestly suggesting that Boeing should repeat the fiasco of MCAS on a 737 EICAS?
At the risk of repeating myself (again), MCAS was certified "Essential" - that's DAL (Design Assurance Level) C. Essential systems are allowed single failures since it's assumed that crew can adequately detect and react to a malfunction (the entire MCAS fiasco goes back to that seriously flawed assumption). EICAS is "Critical" - DAL A. Going from a DAL C to a DAL A system increases the costs exponentially (both hardware and software) (which is probably why they wanted to make MCAS DAL C). Further, while all other Boeing commercial aircraft have EICAS, it's far from a 'cut and paste system'. It basically needs to be customized for each application, and the 737 is a very different animal than even the 767 and is a world away from the FBW 777 and 787.
Adding EICAS to the 737 would be a multi-year, multi-billion dollar exercise.