PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 red but on glide slope
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2022, 10:49
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
PelicanSquawk , IMO you have been unjustly criticised. We need some more info though.

- You say "the chart says MEHt 738 61ft". What chart was this? If it is an official, state chart, I'm surprised it says 738. MEHT for a PAPI/VASI is not contingent on an aircraft type. The PAPI will merely place the eyeballs of who is looking at it at 61ft over the threshold, nothing more. It doesn't matter if it is a Concorde or a Cessna 172.

- What does your ops manual say about transferring to the Visual Aim Point off an ILS? Any mention of transitioning to the PAPI? Mind you, such a thing is, IMO, a stupid idea because it would severely destabilise your approach below the ILS DA. Can your instructor imagine you hauling back on the stick at 200ft AGL to correct the 4 reds you saw?

- What's your stabilised approach criteria? Does it mention that the PAPI overrides the ILS GS?

- What airport was this at? Perhaps the "61ft" is incorrect. It is quite easy to use Google Earth to verify the MEHt if the PAPI can be seen.

- In any case, if the FDAP shows you were on the GS the whole way down, anybody who criticises you or worse, marks you down, is on shaky ground, in my view.

Flight Detent , I don't expect the Yanks to have ICAO markings but the runway above, 05L, has got incorrect markings as well. There should be markings at 150m, 300m then the aiming point markings at 400m. Where is that airport?