PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-43 of Howard Hughes
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2004, 03:13
Aerohack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
James: Now that I've bothered to slide my chair about three feet from where I was sitting, I've discovered that I have photos of both sides of NR-440 as originally configured, and there were just five windows on each side, the others reportedly 'faired over', though from the pictures I don't think they were ever there. Following its crash at Lake Mead, Nevada in 1943 while being used by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Hughes had it salvaged and rebuilt without the LR tanks and with standard cabin windows.

Hughes/Hughes Aircraft/Hughes Tool or nominees representing Hughes owned/operated all sorts over the years — the sole Beech A17F Staggerwing, Sikorsky S-38, Boeing Stratoliner (converted by a subsequent owner into a houseboat), five Douglas B-23 Dragons, at least two A-20 Havocs, of which Hughes's personal aircraft still exists, three Short Solents, a Consolidated PB2Y Coronado, and more prosaically in later years a JetStar. I think the Learjet in which he died was a chartered aircraft.