PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Recruiting
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2022, 15:42
BIGBAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stein7b
Thanks to the VS folk who have given some info on this thread. I am seeking a bit more info if you have the time.

Trying to find a reason to apply, so looking past the salary scales. Lifestyle is important to me, I live up North and would plan to commute (kids settled in school etc).
If the above post regarding EASA FTL’s and 900hrs is true, is this going to be achievable?
I’m assuming commuters make it work by arriving into LHR night before, trip, then head home on same day after landing.

How many trips are people doing and how are the blocks of days off arranged? (Assuming boeing fleet).

Are the majority of trips bullets? Or is there a good mix even if junior? Do juniors get USA trips regularly on the 787?

How many days leave/year and how many days off a month is typical?

Staff Travel? Anything special or just usual ID90 standby?
Easy to take partner on a trip?

Allowances. Seems to be a bit of uncertainty whether it’s the previous system of a few hundred bucks or the HMRC minimum?

Finally, Overtime. Is there much available? Is it all last minute on the day or could you pick it up as a commuter with a bit of notice?
I live up North and would plan to commute (kids settled in school etc).
commuting prior to COVID was feasible, from up north or the continent, post COVID it is substantially more difficult. Rosters now only give the minimum required, by agreement or EASA rules. At least half of all trips now only have 2 days off afterwards. This includes India trips which tend to finish late, followed by 2 days off which then can be followed by early Caribbean / USA trips which require commuting the day prior.

Other considerations for commuting, which maybe short term, but are significant at the moment - hotac at LHR has become quite expensive even with staff rates, getting standby seats is almost impossible this summer with lots of last minute cancellations, trains are also very difficult with strikes etc. Rosters, whilst they have stabilised in the last six months are no longer as stable as they used to be due to changes in our scheduling agreement and booking confirmed non refundable tickets (plane/train) is much more of a gamble.

If the above post regarding EASA FTL’s and 900hrs is true, is this going to be achievable?

This is true and more than achievable.regularly roster 80-90+ hrs a month, sometimes with a block of standby or week of leave thrown into the month too !!

I’m assuming commuters make it work by arriving into LHR night before, trip, then head home on same day after landing.
see the answer above, but if you do this you may find you only have 1 clear night at home.

How many trips are people doing and how are the blocks of days off arranged? (Assuming boeing fleet).
Full time 5 trips+. All trips have 2 days off, 5 out of 7 west coast trips have 3 days off, don’t expect to get any more off than that. Quite possible to be rostered 2 west coast trips with 2 days off within a block of 8 days.

Are the majority of trips bullets? Or is there a good mix even if junior? Do juniors get USA trips regularly on the 787?

Almost all trips at least 3 day pattern, 20-24hrs down route. Lot of night flying. Majority of route network USA

How many days leave/year and how many days off a month is typical?
35 days , upto 40 days after 5 years. Minimum 10 days pm, however read that as maximum because roster will be filled with a block of standby to use up spare days

Staff Travel? Anything special or just usual ID90 standby?
Usual interline agreements, ID90s. After 10 years (used to be 5 years) get annual free tickets (1 trip for a family must pay taxes) usually confirmed unless book in busy times

Easy to take partner on a trip?
Usually

Allowances. Seems to be a bit of uncertainty whether it’s the previous system of a few hundred bucks or the HMRC minimum?
No uncertainty, it is HMRC rates, if you’re going to India /Pakistan/South Africa around $90-120 for a trip. All inclusive in some Caribbean destinations so almost nothing.

USA trips is more approx $200-240 over a 4 day trip (2 nights down route) but considering the cost of living in the big cities we fly to don’t expect to be able to bring much home

Finally, Overtime. Is there much available? Is it all last minute on the day or could you pick it up as a commuter with a bit of notice?
There is a lot available, at the moment, but you have to live by your phone as it goes quickly and also be willing to not plan your life if you want to do it. Depending on your commute, it can be difficult.