PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anybody else think Farnborough's Cr*p?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2022, 12:54
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 302 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by airsound
I’m sad to say that it’s not just this year’s show that was so feeble. The rot was already well established in 2018. I was working at that show, and I was horrified by the lacklustre flying displays.

But I was lucky enough to persuade Craig Hoyle, the Editor of Flight International magazine, to let me have 500 words on the letters page of his 7-13 August 2018 edition. Here’s the text of that letter (if anyone’s still interested!)

That 2018 letter sparked quite a lot of response, both in the magazine and elsewhere - all of it, as far as I know, agreeing with it.
And of course, in the meantime, Farnborough International decided not to have any more public days on the Saturday and Sunday.

It is, I’m immensely sad to say, the true end of a special era - one that I feel very lucky to have experienced.

airsound
I can't recall when I last attended Farnborough as an airshow going member of public, probably 1998. I think I went on a trade day in 2006 as a guest of a supplier and the display was somewhat lacklustre then, with some gaps in the programme and several aircraft flying twice, notably the F-18. Perhaps better on public days... Mind you, I recall I had a cold which did tend to dampen my enthusiasm a little despite it being a nice sunny day for once!