PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - January exams, please read
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2004, 02:29
OneIn60rule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Keith

And yes this question has dubious choices and that's why I asked a fellow student first, his teacher told him that an increase in pitch angle relative to the horizontal. So if you are already pitching nose down then you'll have to increase pitch (Pitching down in his lang.).
If you are nose up you will have to decrease pitch.

I've seen this question 5 times in my feedback and I really don't like to see it again!

the CTM btw isn't hard to memorize since all you have to do is remember what happens when you are in ISA, Isothermal and Inversion.

ISA> CTM (If C constant in climb then TM increase, if T increase then C decrease and M increase)
Iso> C decrease in climb and MT same.

Inversion> CTM is now CMT!
SO if climbing at constant Cas then M and T go up

The sketches were taught in my school but you can simply use the THREE finger method to help out.

WARNING if a question comes up asking about you maintaining constant MACH and overall temp decreases then the CAS will stay the same. I cannot explain why this is so but the question pops up 10 times in my fback so it's one of the cases where CTM is invalid for this type of question. Otherwise CTM(ISA)/CMT(Inversion) works for climbs and descents.

Climb at constant C in ISA, T and M both increase
Climb at constant T in ISA, C decrease and M increases
Climb at constant M in ISA, C and T both decrease

*Climb at constant C in ISOTHERMAL, T+M increase (This is the *odd one)
*Climb at constant M in Iso, C would decrease and T would stay *the same. (again this is the odd one so be carefull with it)*

Inversion>
This one is where CTM becomes CMT (yes only T and M switch their positions)
Climb constant C in Inversion, T and M increase
Climb constant T in Inversion, C decrease and Mach DECREASE.
Climb constant M in inversion, T increase and C decrease.

It's very easy to use after a bit of practice and helps me to find out what I have to do with angle of attack if descending at constant mach and such. They might not ask you what happens with TAs, they are more likely to ask what happens with angle of attack or the dreaded PITCH angle. (In which case I just write down the L=Clx etc..)

Hope this helped a bit.