PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2022, 11:20
Not_a_boffin

Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
On June 28th General Sir Patrick Sanders, who earlier that month had become chief of the general staff, addressed the Royal United Services Institute (rusi), a think-tank in London. “This is our 1937 moment,” he said, pointing to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. “From now the army will have a singular focus—to mobilise to meet today’s threat and thereby prevent war in Europe.” The process will be known as Operation mobilise.

General Sanders now promises “ruthless prioritisation”, on the assumption that the army would have to fight along nato’s eastern front, or on the alliance’s northern or southern flanks in the Arctic and Mediterranean. Some missions will be pruned. “I think the idea that the army is going to the Pacific to fight the Chinese is now off the table completely,” says William F. Owen, an expert who has advised the army and edits Military Strategy Magazine"
Two observations :

1. CGS states that the Army (as opposed to defence) will have a singular focus - which is good. It's about time they did. Time will tell whether cap badges and regional commands can resist this.
2. I don't think I've ever heard anyone (rational) suggest that the Army would be off to fight the yellow peril.

This may well be the Army's chance to get it's ordure in a single piece of hosiery. Something the Navy did some years ago, not least with the culling of NCHQ posts and the fuhrer order that availability was to be properly prioritised.