PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is NASA’s SLS Doomed?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2022, 09:21
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,583 Likes on 720 Posts
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...a/10125421002/

NASA prepares for mission to return to the moon, targets late August launch of Artemis I

BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. – NASA is now targeting the morning of August 29 for the launch of its monstrous Space Launch System rocket and the Artemis I mission to the moon, the agency announced Wednesday, the 53rd anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing….

The Artemis I mission, slated to send an uncrewed Orion capsule around the moon and back, is set to liftoff from Launch Complex 39B at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Teams are confident that their work has positioned them to launch the Artemis I mission in late August. Two other possible launch opportunities were identified as backups, September 2 and September 5.

If NASA is unable to launch the Space Launch System (SLS) during that timeframe, the rocket would have to be rolled back to the agency's Vehicle Assembly Building again for pre-launch work and would likely target another attempt no earlier than mid-October…..

If the SLS is able to launch the Artemis I mission on August 29 teams will target a liftoff during a two-hour window which would open at 8:33 a.m. ET.…

The mission is designed to be long-duration and last as long as 42 days with a targeted splashdown return of the Orion capsule no earlier than October 10.