PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Fuel Mayday
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2022, 22:45
Global Aviator

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by C441
Out of interest….
Can those overseas operators reading this thread advise the alternate that their airline would usually plan, based on a VMC forecast, for Perth? Would they carry any advisory traffic holding fuel on top of that?
In a narrow body 737/320 not many choices if coming from SE Asia, Geraldton & Kalgoorlie are the two main ones and both do not have international facilities. I remember hearing of a Scoot 320 diverting to Kalgoorlie only to have no stairs available or was it no fuel?

The amount of flights into Perth compared to the number of diversions would be extremely low and hence most get away with it. However as mentioned a few times above Perth should be treated with respect. Cavok yet get there and the crosswind is serving up a lovely turbulent experience, that early morning surprise fog that hangs around, blah blah blah.

I fill the tanks to max available fuel pretty much every Perth and still sometimes I don’t reckon that’s enough! Airlines do push the limits of certain aircrafts capabilities.