PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The next big fly in - where and when?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2004, 02:03
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a regular at Gamston, and nice, friendly and easy as it is, I wouldn't have thought it'd make a particularly good fly-in venue. It's a bit 'commercially oriented' - loads of Diamond stuff and a couple of biz-jets based there too, but not much else of particular interest. £10 landning fee and I don't think they'd be particularly keen to allow multiple landings for that either. There's a nice coffee shop upstars inside the Diamond offices (open to the public), but you can't see the apron or runway from there.

I think Sandtoft would make a better venue than Gamston - much more of a GA field with a bit more going on.

Then there's Wickenby, just a bit further south on the edge of the Scampton MATZ, which is an ex WW II base with a small museum upstars in the old control tower, and a nice homely cafe/bar downstairs. Again, not much else going on though. Reasonably length (and quite bumpy) hard runways, and a nice grass parking area with picnic tables etc. (it WILL be sunny, it WILL be sunny...)

Or how about Skegness. Unlicensed, and no cafe on site, but there are several nice chippy's (Chip SHOPS, not chipMONKS) 10 minutes away and we could all crash out on the beach! 750M of grass in the middle of a caravan park with a nice hill to sit on and watch/jude each others landings. It might be a bit nearer for the southerners too.