PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Fuel Mayday
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2022, 20:40
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by KAPAC
If I understand your statement correctly ? Airlines that require an alternate for every flight some how end up flying to their destination with no alternate fuel , same as happens in Australia ? Operations I’ve been involved with the captains are very reluctant to drop the alternate even if they legally can . Obviously if your in the circuit , no delays , your not going to divert because your about to go below min divert . In this situation the alternate could be dropped to accept the 15 min traffic hold knowing there is 2 runways and little chance of further delays .
No reflection on this Qantas crew , I’m sure it was a perfectly legal flight and it was handled professionally with safe outcome . Well done ! I’m happy to be operating in a world where alternates are carried on every flight .
Island Reserve maybe ? If they could take the fuel ? Having worked out of Perth I got nothing but respect for WA pilots , highly skilled , smart pilots . It’s not an easy destination , 727 captain 40 years ago dropped alternate as he could see Perth airport , license suspended . 146 , RJ’s stretched !
maybe this mayday call is a trigger, for me .
ramble over , stay safe !
"Reluctant" doesn't mean "Can't"- you even agree it is legal. If you are carrying an alternate, but unexpected delays at the destination mean you need to use that fuel, you can. After all, you are carrying only enough to land at the alternate with 30 minutes final reserve- if the expected delay means you will land with MORE than that at the destination pax have paid to get to, why woulkd you not?