PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRS chute saved the day once more - Bruges, Belgium
Old 24th Jul 2022, 18:28
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
The outcome of the parachute descent was likely more successful then an attempt at a glide to landing into a residential street would have ever been.
Probably. Should the airplane have been being flown over an area so unsuitable to receive a forced landing or uncontrolled descent? I'm fine with inexperienced pilots (if that was the situation) flying, and choosing to add a layer of safety with a BRS, it's where the arrival occurred which I have difficulty with. The pilot can choose the locale of the flight - that appears to have been a poor choice.

I deliberately avoid overflight of built up areas. The one Toronto area airport I occasionally visit un-nerves me, as the development around that airport has removed nearly all of the suitable open areas for an off airport landing. I choose not to transit across Toronto at all - 'just nowhere to go if it quits. Controlled airspace makes higher crossing impossible, so I go around. Maybe I splash, maybe I buy a row of corn, but a city street is that last place I want to be seeing one very short final!