PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened?
Thread: What happened?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2022, 14:15
Alice Kiwican

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Soaring Cub
What happened? Let me tell you what happened…

Five pilots forgot where they were, how lucky they were to be there and who put them there.

The GA apron is a busy a place, and if you don’t keep your head on a swivel, of course you’re going to find yourself in a hazardous situation.
There’s a reason for the BRIGHT RED flashing light on the tail of EVERY aircraft. If you don’t know that then you’re not ready for GA.

I can personally vouch that ‘the operator’ is an upstanding member of the aviation community and has been for decades. You’re telling me the most qualified and utilised instructor in the territory can’t run some 210s and Airvans safely? Just ask that interviewee how much regard qantas has for ‘the operator’s’ opinion 😉

As for the borderline slander levelled against a great man doing honest work, you should probably check your facts and have a read of a little book called the AIP.

I can’t believe I’m explaining this… All light aircraft have an MTOW, but it’s well known there’s an in-built engineering tolerance. Throwing a few extra bags in the pod has never brought down an aircraft and it never will. What will bring down an airplane is pilots spending all their time complaining about not getting a sleep in as opposed to studying their POH and knowing their aircraft.

As for the last-light accusation, get your facts straight. Jabiru Airport has runway lighting! I’d rather ensure my customers (who pay a lot of money for these flights) get a quality sunset scenic than worry about the trivial number of degrees the sun is below the horizon. As long as you plan to be in the circuit 10 mins prior to LL, you’re golden. The AIP doesn’t say anything about operational requirements occurring in flight.

I’ve been following some threads here and seeing what those cowardly insta meme pages spurt out. I think I speak for the quiet majority when I say GA is about making money. It’s not about taking selfies on ‘Frothy Friday’. Flying $300,000+ machines is a privilege. If you can’t get you’re head around that, go be a grade 3 at some Sydney sausage factory.

Get used to seeing this account more, because I’m here to raise the standards and speak up against the daffodils who bring this forum (and industry) down…
i agree the apron is a busy place and you have to keep your wits about you.
Just curious if a pilot is checking the oil how is it that someone can allegedly try and start the engine at the same time? What circumstance exists that makes this the right and SAFE thing to do?

i have only been flying for 30ish years but I always thought the MTOW was not negotiable?
I guess I’ve been incorrect in that assumption.