PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anybody else think Farnborough's Cr*p?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2022, 12:19
Seloco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with SpringHeeledJack; the 'flying display' which we experienced on Friday was rather an insult to the name (but not the few participants). After attending Farnborough now for 64 years I fear that it is finally a case of RIP, for whatever reason. The larger companies seem to have stayed away from the exhibition halls and holed up in their chalets away from the hoi poloi instead - although Leonardo at least had their usual impressive set-up by the entrance. Compared with previous years there was very little in the static park, and even then a number of information boards showed aircraft that had already flown out by Friday morning (such as the 777X).

Time was, ever since I was 7, that the Farnborough Show was where one went to see all the latest advances in aviation, be it military, commercial, GA or experimental; where one could experience the future, just a few noisy feet away, and be inspired as a child to want to become part of it. No longer, it seems. In a world where a significant part of that future will be electric, it was sad for instance that not one single electric powered aircraft could be shown flying. Instead, for me at least, the real highlights of what passed for a 'flying display' were those outstanding but familiar performances by a 41 yr old Chinook helicopter and a 77 year old Spitfire.

So, is it the end for the 'Farnborough Air Show', or have we just experienced an abnormal post-pandemic glitch and will see a glorious return to the days of yore in July 2024?