PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted-4
Thread: Stansted-4
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2022, 11:41
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _aax1
I for one hope that if MAG go along the lines of a Luton style 2nd terminal for Ryanair (I imagine Sat 4 will be for FR too) then they put some investment into main terminal. The building is a beauty but has been modified, neglected and destroyed over the years. I think MAG should turn it back into what it was always designed to be (not low cost) and enable a decent enough experiance to get some long haul/full service.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, as much as I (alongside many others) would no doubt love this to happen, I think this is very unlikely to be the case. MAG have already spent ££££££ in "enhancing" the terminal in recent years (e.g. complete remodelling of the departure lounge; snake-walk duty free) which was only finished in 2016-17. In order to be non-low cost, MAG would essentially have to rip this all up and downsize on the outlets/duty free, which given their track record, I think is very unlikely.

I think what MAG should definitely be focused on now is completing the shoreline check in concept (the original "island" zones look quite dated now), and significantly invest in upgrading the boarding gate areas and the existing satellites (with the exception of satellite 1, which does look very nice), as these also are looking worn and past their sell-by-date. If they're really serious about long haul, as they were prior Pandemic, then this will be essential I think, and maybe additional airline lounges in the satellites. Currently, we only have the Escape lounge in the main terminal. IIRC, there were a few lounges in satellites 1 and 2 previously?

As regards terminal 2, I really hope MAG won't go down the Luton-style design, as it wouldn't fit in with STN's existing architecture and infrastructure. Certainly, it wouldn't help MAG in helping STN compete for new carriers, much less so becoming the airport of choice in London, as they envision it to be.

It is a shame though, as I always found STN fairly pleasant prior to MAG ownership, and I had positive hopes when BAA sold it, especially given the mantra of wanting STN to become the "best airport in London" shortly after MAG took over.