PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-43 of Howard Hughes
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2004, 00:57
JDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many thanks for the input chaps, knew you'd be there Aerohack! ;-)
The port windows foward of the wheel-well are missing, and that was the stewards' position on the airline machines, and a possible spot for some extra tankage. I got very thrown over potential changes of window layout, until I realised one of the pics on seawings was reversed (spotted by the wife - curses!) and the pic linked to by PaperTiger alsh had me fooled as the display boards could be covering the ports - but weren't!

Part of the joys of modelling is you end up looking a LOT harder at the subject.

Talking of which, anyone ablew to tell me what the text on the r/h and l/h side of the nose says? The bigger bits I've got let me see the larger lettering, but not the smaller. And it was meant to be a quick project! (The kits great btw if anyone's interested.)

seacue's reference to the other older Sikorskys is quite right, and they too make amazing subjects. A model mag I work for (no advert - pm me for details!) got an article from the recreation's pilot - he said it was a great waterbird, slow, and did he mention it was slow? Heh.

Any more bids on Hughes owned a/c? RD right IIRC, and I'm sure there's others. With the Spruce Goose, I guess he's a hands-down winner as to volume of preserved a/c!

Cheers
James