PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Fuel Mayday
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2022, 04:23
BuzzBox

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by compressor stall
Can anybody explain why in good weather etc, one of the requirements if you don't want to hold an alternate is destination has to have dual (separate, not crossing) runways - but only for for overseas ops. AU single runway is fine....
MOS 121 4.08 refers.
Probably because that's what's specified in ICAO Annex 6 Part I - International Commercial Air Transport (Aeroplanes). The preamble of Annex 6 states, under 'Applicability':

Annex 6, Part I, contains Standards and Recommended Practices adopted by the International Civil Aviation Organization as the minimum Standards applicable to the operation of aeroplanes by operators authorized to conduct international commercial air transport operations.
CASA obviously adopted many of the Annex 6 requirements for domestic operations too; bastardised where necessary to suit our 'unique' operating environment . I can only assume the dual runway requirement was not adopted for domestic use because the woeful lack of aviation infrastructure in this country made it all too hard.

Last edited by BuzzBox; 23rd Jul 2022 at 07:16.