PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing could cancel the 737 MAX 10
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2022, 03:06
WideScreen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by txl
Just to check that I'm getting this right: The grace period for certifying aircraft according to old rules expires end of 2022. From 2023 on, new regulations require that a plane is being equipped with EICAS on order to get certified. Boeing could have done that easily, as they have known this to be coming for years. But apart from the cost factor, making those adjustments to the 737 would jeopardize the grandfathered certification and they would need to have a new certification – and airlines pilots would have to be type rated anew? Is that about it?

That said, on a personal note: I think the 737 has had its time, but now Boeing needs to move on. From a SLF perspective, Airbus offers the superior product by far. But I'm pretty certain Congress will grant Boeing their extension, the US won't shoot themselves in the foot by taking Airbus' biggest competitor in narrow-body aircraft off the market for a couple of years.
Yes, maybe.

The big question is, whether other XAA's/EASA will rubber stamp the MAX-10 type approval, or that the MAX-10 will become a sole-US orphaned flying airplane...... The latter would be a disgrace to the US its attempt to regain face, after the previous MAX regulatory humiliations, IE just confirming the MAX disaster wasn't an incident, though just ingrained in the US culture ......