PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2022, 16:08
NutLoose

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Facinating analysis of the damage to the road bridge, they believe they were Excaliber shells that hit it.

Ok this is the translation of each section of the link below, the bottom link is in English

About the damaged Antonovsky Bridge in Kherson. I was wondering if it could really be MLRS missiles that caused the damage we see in the pictures.

A MLRS has 90kg HE. Here it is tested against a smaller bridge. But the road surface should be of equivalent dimensions.

The size of the holes varies. Some holes have not penetrated but are more like pits. I guess you try different settings on the spark plugs. You can set the ignition on directly or with delayed ignition, as the grenade penetrates into the construction.

The big hole on the left is probably two or three hits. Here you can see the small pits better.

How much damage does a 155mm M982 Excalibur grenade do? The grenade is precision-guided and guided towards its target using GPS or laser. The grenade strikes at a high angle, which is consistent with images of the damage where you do not see the butterfly pattern from low angles.

The grenade is penetrating. "Increment I has a unitary penetrating warhead for use against stationary targets" It can penetrate at different depths before it detonates. Below are pictures of a "regular" 155mm grenade that penetrates concrete and then detonates.

Here, the grenade penetrates 150 cm of concrete with rebar. The width of the hole is at least one meter.

Here the penetration is 56cm. The width maybe 1 meter?

Here 62cm penetration. Width?

At an angle of 20 degrees, the penetration decreases to 37 cm.

The size of the holes matches quite well with the test of 155mm grenades against concrete.

Damage assessment