PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Network Aviation Revolving Door
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2022, 11:11
dr dre

Received 356 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by ActiveLooker
so, to reiterate, QF First Officers on A LOT LESS than A320 NAA Captains sitting at the gate in Perth. Life style leading up to retirement I think I’ll take the NAA gig. Oh, that’s right, QF F/Os are on that salary for 15-18 years
The last pay figure I get for NAA Capt is $185k on the last EBA rate. Even if there’s a bit of a pay increase for the 320 that’s still in the ballpark of what a 737 FO makes for a standard roster after 4 years, without any bonus scheme available.

15-18 year on the 73? Nah, most junior LH FO slot prior to Covid was 3 years, but I think for new joiners now 8 years is an accurate figure.

The NAA Captain could be working 2 half days a week for that money, or they could doing 5 long day sits at mines. In reality they’re probably working roughly as much as a standard SH FO is and being paid similar. That’s when the 320 isn’t doing air returns or waiting at outports for maintenance. But the guy on the mainline list has the capability to earn far more in their career and fly more different types than someone who chooses NAA. If you have less than 10 years to go and are tossing up between the two you may choose NAA for a quick command to see out your days, but anything longer than 20 years to go and you’d be nuts to choose NAA.

Anyway look at the flow of people to determine what’s the better option. How many mainline pilots now resigning to go to NAA? (Hint, it’s zero). Versus how many NAA pilots resigning to go to mainline or elsewhere (Hint, it’s plenty).