PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew Officer Selection Medical Query
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2022, 10:33
magicmick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircrew Officer Selection Medical Query

Hello, I would be extremely grateful if I could pick your collective brains regarding an Aircrew Officer medical question:

My son is 20 years old and for as long as I can recall he has dreamed of becoming a military pilot (manned aircraft rather than RPAS) he was a member of the RAF section of the CCF at his school, leaving as the head of section, he is now studying Aerospace Engineering at university and is a member of the University Air Squadron which he enjoys immensely.

The problem he has concerns his eyesight, his right eye is outside refraction limits for myopia and astigmatism and his left eye is outside refraction limits for astigmatism. We understand that these failings can be corrected by laser treatments that the RAF accept (PRK, LASEK and LASIK) however I cannot help thinking that there are so many pilot applicants who have good eyesight without needing laser treatment that the fact that he has had laser treatment would disadvantage him even if he were to pass every selection test.

All of the Medical Officers that he has asked have told him that laser treatment would not disadvantage him during selection but I assume that in these PC, woke and enlightened times they would say that.

So my question to you all is are you aware of any new entry aircrew officers who had laser eye treatment before they joined and were still able to pass through selection and aircrew training?

Thank-you all so much for your advice.