PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet MPL, CX Cadet or Self Funded?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2022, 14:29
VariablePitchP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ay380
I'm looking to start flight training and not really sure which would be the best option for me in the current market. I've saved enough to allow me to go self funded and I qualify for cadet programmes so currently my options are:
  1. Easyjet MPL Cadet Programme - have read all the posts about cadets being dropped etc. but this is still a most direct way of getting onto a jet
  2. Self funded UK CAA/EASA fATPL (integrated) - no guaranteed employment at the end of the course (done the research and integrated is the way to go for me)
  3. CX Cadet Programme - have read all the posts about current CX conditions/contract and long time before upgrade to FO (if ever) but also a direct way to be on a widebody
Being 30, I feel like I should build as much experience as possible instead of spending 5-7 years after training as a relief pilot so I am leaning towards either the Easyjet MPL or self funded route. However, I'm having a difficult time deciding which option would be the best to take as I worry about the licence and job opportunities that I will end up with.

So my questions are:
If you were in my position, which of these options would you go for?
  • Go for the most direct route to hands on jet flying but run the risk of being stuck with a MPL and/or with no job?
    • How risky do you think the MPL course is given that Europe is in/heading towards post-COVID recovery?
  • Self fund a UK CAA & EASA fATPL and hope the job market will be positive when done with the course? What do you think the job market will be like in 2024/25?
    • I note that if I choose this route, I'm unlikely to be able to be offered a job with Easyjet as they're only taking cadets from CAE (as mentioned on this forum), so that would be one opportunity out the window right off the bat
  • Or spend 5-7 years (according to posts I've read) in the jumpseat of a widebody hoping to eventually upgrade to FO whilst being close to family and friends
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you for your help in advance.
Option 2 is not a good idea. As an other poster has said, modular is cheaper, quicker and better. You may not get to post as many photos of you wearing 17 stripes on Facebook, but unfortunately it’s long been known that no one else actually cares that much…

Option 3 is totally dependent on you. If you are from Hong Kong and want to stay there it seems reasonable. For a European looking east, it looks a truly ghastly option given the decimation of Cathay from covid and the whole Chinasation of Hong Kong that’s happening.