PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-43 of Howard Hughes
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2004, 19:42
JDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sikorsky S-43 of Howard Hughes

Hi all,

A couple of obscure questions for the remarkable brains on display here -

I've been making the Sword model of the Sikorsky S-43 as my 'Christmas light relief' and decided to make it as Howard Hughes' machine, N440, preserved today (I believe) in Texas.

It's been very enjoyable, but I'm intreagued. I've got pics and infr from Airliners.net and seawings.co.uk but the window arrangements sem different as well as the different engines (today) than the standard S-43; I know Hughes had 1,100hp Cyclones fitted, but does it have the same type of engine now?

The skinning was flush rivited and extra fuel, and I've spotted changes to the strakes on the nose (compared to the kit which is (inevitably) of the military variants).

Questions - anyone got any reliable info on it's current config, interior layout (pictures?) location, status etc. There was an article by Bud Davidson in Flight Journal, (Jan/Feb 99)which I wonder if it has any good info?

And is Hughes the man with the most preserved of his own aircraft? There's at least the Spruce Goose, the H-1 Racer, this Sikorsky, and I think a couple of others. (anyone know them all?)Can anyone think of a person who has more of 'his/her' own aircraft preserved? And the fleets of Avengers in George Bush's colours in the 90s do NOT count!

Cheers
James