PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C205 catastrophic engine failure
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2022, 06:41
WideScreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the situation, all good choices, I would say.

My personal preference would be another technique, though that's maybe because I fly the C172s, where the aircraft does allow for this.

Stay high until your touch-down aiming is roughly 45 degrees down in front of you. Then full flaps and dive with some 45-60 degrees nose-down. With the C172 barn-doors out, the speed goes up to the max full flaps speed (granted, 1 kt over .....). Near the ground, round out and let the speed bleed off very quickly (the barn doors, from 92 down to 40-50 goes really fast) and subsequently settle. With some practice, you can easily reach a repeated accuracy of "within 50 feet". It's also relatively insensitive to wind speeds (compared to a "normal" glide-in). A good opportunity to practice this technique, is the exercise to "close the throttle on your own discretion" and land at the intended spot. It needs some muscle-power to overcome the out-of-trim during round-out and settling, though.

I did this many moons ago, with my first exam. There was the initial mental tension from the examiner, "what's this guy doing", and then some high-pitched squeaking noises after initiating the dive, though, when I explained him during the dive, the speed would be OK, he relaxed. I passed ;-)

One more option to control the settling is to have full flaps and just before the intended landing spot raise the flaps. Better do this with a mechanical flap lever. This may give a hard-landing, so it'll need a careful "stable close to the ground floating", before doing so. Though, in an emergency, with little landing distance available, it's giving you the opportunity to avoid the "float forever" and get (IE force) the aircraft on the ground and be able to brake, etc. And, at the same time, reducing the undershoot risk, since you know, you have a trick available to force the aircraft on the ground, and can keep up the speed a little more.