PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pondering leaving BA
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2022, 08:27
SunSmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that the grass is unlikely to be greener elsewhere BUT I hear what the OP is saying – I too (definitely NOT trolling either) am at a loss of what to do. It is certainly not a pleasant place to work at the moment. The blatant dishonesty from the management is staggering. In short, they are liars with no morality. The on-going “Delta” saga is simply and clearly punishment for daring to stand up for our rights during the strikes. They have made it personal, under the guise of “supporting the business”. Morale on the line is at the lowest I have ever known since I joined (a fair few years ago now). The press are rightly focussed on the airports being understaffed but are missing the fact the airline sacked too many people because they thought it was a great opportunity to create new contracts with lower pay and conditions. What a gross misjudgement – one that literally no one had been held to account over. It is because no one in a senior position has been held liable for the state of the operation, so now staff have no respect for the management.

Equally, there is no respect for us (pilots) and what we actually do. Thanks to the weak and ineffective association that is BALPA, the perception of our role has been dumbed down so much that ops staff actually believe that the airplanes “fly themselves” and that “anyone can be a pilot”. Our agreements are routinely ignored because the majority are afraid to question or don’t know what ops are allowed to do. Add to that fact the BALPA and the senior (LH pilots) essentially apologise for those agreements and make out that we are privileged and lucky to have the “best job in the world”. They argue that they are being realistic, but they just don’t want to rock the boat

JSS has proven to be an unmitigated disaster for anyone other the top 10% on each fleet. The short reserves are well-intentioned but, now with such a large number of short reserves used on each (SH) status each month, JSS is even less likely to work.

I was told that worst kept secret is that the new LGW EF commands are all discussing hours-building to then apply for command elsewhere. True or not, I guess we’ll all find out soon.