PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gold Coast International Airport CTAF
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2022, 03:51
43Inches

Received 419 Likes on 231 Posts
That's the reality for 99% of the community, you don't need this stuff, until, well you need it and then if you don't have it it's leave the country stuff. A large company that sees lots of passengers daily and sees risk coming out of every nook at cranny sees things very differently. Liability to large corps is literally a daily issue and the more they can shift the cases to another party the better for them. Think of the supermarket slippers and so on, owning a business that the public interacts with is a risky business financially. You are paying for it in many ways, from increased council rates, to 3rd party coverage on your rego, to everyday components of ticket prices to venues, public transport etc etc.... And the claims are there, every day... so its not invisible risk. Problem is if liability is moved to public avenues, you then pay for it through tax, which way would you prefer to pay? pay to use a service or pay for everyone to have accidents and a universal system..., I know which is cheaper in the long run. By the way liability claims are kept hush as the more public knows what they can claim, the more that fraud the system, and we do see the extremes on TV, but thousands everyday would pass through without much hasel.

BTW if you think I live some scared sheltered life, nope, not even close, I take risks, but calculated and make sure any that come close to the wind are appropriately insured. Whether it's medical insurance for risk taking activities (or daily ones) or the right business insurance for ventures I have undertaken, it prevents you wallowing in debt should the unlikely turn up and hit you hard. For instance my medical insurance has already paid back more than 10 fold what I've paid it, and for goodness sake use it, that's what its for. Good example is skimping on medical insurance as a pilot, then getting medivac from some outback location to a major city, there goes a good chunk of your yearly income without coverage.

Last thing, Cooly airport cares Nowt for you, they want that liability in case you damage something so that you can afford to pay for it, that's it. So it's a one sized stick to cover all occurrences. Once they have told you that you should have this at this airport, the judge deciding on damages will take that into account in what you should be able to afford, insured or not, that becomes a higher risk for the user.

Last edited by 43Inches; 17th Jul 2022 at 04:08.