PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civilian Buyer of RAF Neatishead Wants To Get Type 84 Radar Working
Old 16th Jul 2022, 19:51
Downwind.Maddl-Land

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MPN11
When did Eastern Radar finally expire, and move to LATCC and then Swanwick?
That would have been 1988, MPN11. I was Ops 3A at HQ MATO at the time and part of my remit was the (long-delayed) move of ERD from the stone age to the brave new world of digital radar displays, SIRS, BEGs, CERDs, plasma input devices and a telephone system that BT wouldn't give a 'green circle' to, so it couldn't be connected to the national system! Due to the inertia built up over the many postponed attempts to effect the move, I had the 'delight' of having a conversation with, the then, OC ERD that went along the lines of: "I don't care what the history of the project is, Sir, but you will be operating from West Drayton in 6 weeks time; and the AOC wants your Op and Admin Orders for the move on his desk for ratification by the end of the week. This IS happening this time - trust me!"

Up to that point the East North East Project had been under the 'Never gonna happen' banner and precisely nothing - but nothing - had been put in train to effect the move!! Oh My - did the effluent hit the rotating machinery at Watton thereafter; I understand much midnight oil was burned.......