PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pondering leaving BA
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2022, 22:10
Vokes55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack the rabbit
A great suggestion as yourself and a couple of other people suggested.. I actually did take PT at beginning of covid as found FT pre covid pretty dire (5/6 trips a month). Added issue is now with the pay cuts and being placed into SH costs a fortune commuting (I live a good few hours away) and eats a large fraction of extra time off PT generated. PT def was on my list to mitigate it all at least to buy some time and head space. I’ve developed a keen interest and have taken up something outside of flying I would love to do on the side.
I went part time fairly early in my career and never looked back, for me it’s the difference between enjoying and not enjoying the job. Knowing you have that fixed firebreak coming up makes the early starts/late finishes/jetlag bearable, and I usually find at the end of my part time periods that I’m looking forward to going back to work. The pay cut will almost certainly fall entirely within the 40% tax bracket, so your take home will go down less than you think, and you will still be on a relatively good salary. Your body will thank you for it too.