PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible additional UK airport closures
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2022, 07:42
virginblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are we talking about the loss of passenger service or about airport closures such as we have seen at PLH, DSA or the old Sheffield airport? From a German perspective, I guess it really depends on whether an airport has a reasonably diversified business. All those vanity projects that centered around passenger services tend to struggle, but others not so much. A good example from Germany is Möchengladbach (MGL) that had a short career as a busy regional airport in the mid 1990s. it existred beforethat and still exists today as it is home to MRO comapnies, flight schools, aircraft dealers and generall one of the busiest German general aviation airports. The same is true for an airport such as Augsburg (AGB) that was once the home base of one of Germany's busiest regional airlines, but has been without scheduled services for 15+ years. Different story when it come to conversion projects such as Zweibrücken (ZQW), Cochstedt (CSO) or Altenburg (AOC), though - although it really rarely happens that an airport actually closes down and gets more or less bullbozed . This seems to be more a UK thing. The only one in Germany I do recall is Bremerhaven (BHV).I