PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 4
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2022, 17:03
ols500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakeb
Hi all,

I know I’m late to the forum but I suppose it might be worth the shot.

13 years ago I was told I could never become a pilot, this didn’t seem like very much to a 5 year old boy at the time - however growing up as a young kid, it made an impact. This is because I am ‘colour blind’.

Growing up as a child and to where I am now, studying for A-Levels, my colour vision has never really affected me in my day-to-day life, other than the odd wrong coloured pencil in school. Nothing major and therefore I believe I’ve always seen myself as being able to do things ‘normal colour’ sighted people can do. Until now…

Over the past few months I have began to research endless options of gaining a commercial license and putting the same old question into Google time and time again: “Can you be colourblind and become a pilot?” After scrolling through countless articles and websites I came across the CAA’s medical requirements in order to gain a Class 1 Medical. “Applicants who fail to pass in the Ishihara test shall undergo further colour perception testing to establish whether they are colour safe.” Having always known I’d fail the Ishihara plates, this sentence gave me a glimmer of hope, knowing that it may be possible to pursue my life-long dream.

I researched and scoured the internet until I found my local AME. I contacted him and he directed me Dr Adrian Chorley of Aviation Vision Services. I made the long journey down to London to have the CAD test done.

After the test I came out anxious and awaited the news. To pass the CAD I needed to get either <6 on the red-green or <12 on the yellow-blue, any higher on either one and it would be a fail.

He span the computer around and I saw “certification: fail” written across the page. My heart sunk and I knew that this was my long childhood dream over.

My results were:

Red-green = 19.94
Yellow-blue = 0.69

This was a total and complete shock to me. My colour vision does not really affect me in my daily life and I never thought it would be as bad as it was when coming to testing.

I still struggle to get my head around it as I can clearly distinguish the red and white of the PAPI lights, the white, red and green light gun used by air traffic control, the various colours of runway/ taxiway lighting and finally the various lights used on the flight deck. I can identify all the colours in every condition including day, night, rain, sun etc

This is a really limiting test which severely hinders people, like myself, who can recognise the colours used in aviation but cannot pass the CAD test. Personally, there needs to be a test which replicates the same lighting used in aviation which can be used to test people, therefore not limiting 1 in 10 men.

This is gutting news and I’m trying to find ways around this whether that be another test etc.

Ive heard OMLs are something which can be added to a license to work only in a multi-crew environment, could anybody shed some light onto this being applied to myself as a CVD person.

Any advice, guidance or help would be extremely appreciated from everyone and would mean a lot.

Many thanks,
Jake

Hi Jake. So sorry no one replied to you...
It really feels as if we are alone in this world. Such a niche community and only if YOU are affected does it result in you caring. Normal colour vision people get it easy. The 90%...

I too failed the CAD, protan i scored 17.40. HOWEVER, i passed the Farnsworth D-15. I beg EVERYONE who has failed the cad to go to city university in Londom to get this test conducted. If you pass YOU can hold an UNRESTRICTED class 1 medical for Transport Canada. This means, yes you can fly for an airline! This saved my dreams of becoming an airline pilot. Within a 6 month period, i had gone from "what the hell am i going to do with my life" and praying for the CAA to change the laws to being enrolled in a canadain flight school for a PPL+CPL+IFR+INSTRUCTOR etc... the full package. They also offer this Farnsworth D-15 test in New Zealand. BUT, over in NZ and AUS they have a practical test called the OCVA. Look into this as well.

I bloody hope progress is made in changing the colour vision laws globally. Starting with the CAA and EASA. If the CAA or EASA change them, others will follow.

The FAA also offer a lot more testing options. A variety of strange colour tests. God knows where you could get them done. God knowns if I or any moderately colour blind person could pass them. They also offer an OCVT+MFT test. This is a one time pass event.

This infuriates me, if you can't already tell. For the colour blind individuals out here it feels as if we are stuck in a well with no one giving us a rope up.

Please try the D-15.

Kind regards, Ollie Seaward