PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Email server
Thread: Email server
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2022, 10:52
netstruggler

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Splat
Thank you all for the replies. It's obvious to me that this is technically a leap too far for me as although I am reasonably tech savvy, that does not stretch to this.

As an aside, I came to this as a way to solve the constant price rises that my host (one.com) keeps imposing. The latest is a limit on each email address with a £2 a month per account that goes over the limit.

I'm going to look at other hosts that support multiple email (as that's all I use), or I might just use it as a redirect to a gmail for example.

Once again, many thanks for all the replies.
You may not need to run a mail server if all you want to do is manage multiple email accounts - provided you don't mind them having the same domain name.

It's fairly cheap to buy a domain name with email forwarding ( I think I pay something like £20/year) and you get as many email addresses as you want.

So you buy: mydomain.uk.net (say) and set up email forwarding to you ISP email address. Then anything<at>mydomain.uk.net gets forwarded to your main email account and arrives in your inbox. Although they all get delivered to the same email address myaddress<at>virgin.com (say) , they all contain in the header the original email address that they were sent to: eg. accounts<at>mydomain.uk.net , sales<at>mydomain.uk.net , support<at>mydomain.uk.net etc. There are programs which will filter the incoming mails into different accounts by looking at the header. (replaced @ with <at> to avoid creating links)

I use fetchmail to get the emails from my ISP, procmail to route them to different email accounts, and dovecot to provide IMAP access to the emails, all running under Linux. That's not trivial to set up either, but it's easier than running an email relay server.

You may be able to find an email client that sorts incoming emails into different accounts based on the X-ORIGINAL-TO field in the message header. If you could find that it would be easy and you wouldn't need to set up any other software.

For outgoing emails you just send them through your ISP in the normal way.

HTH